Holloway earns 2010 Pro Criterium Stars-and-Stripes jersey
Glencoe, Illinois (August 14, 2010) — By becoming the first American to cross the line in Glencoe, Daniel Holloway (Morgan Hill, Calif./ BISSELL Pro Cycling) earned the Stars-and-Stripes jersey at Saturday's AT&T USA Cycling Professional Criterium National Championships at the Glencoe Grand Prix. Canadian national criterium champion David Veilleux of Kelly Benefits Strategies won the overall victory.
Veilleux and Fly V Australia rider Bernie Sulzberger of Australia broke away from a leading group of 12, which included eight Americans, with about five laps to go. The two stayed in front for the rest of the race. During the final lap, Sulzberger's teammate Alessandro Bazzana of Italy then soloed off the front of the chase group to take third.
With the peloton hot on their heels, it was Holloway, a former track and elite criterium national champion, and Team Type 1's Ken Hanson (Santa Barbara, Calif.) who emerged from the remaining breakaway riders around the final turn. Holloway edged Hanson to win the sprint and take the top American honors.
This was the first year the national championships have been held on the Glencoe course. The technical, 1.3-mile route included 10 corners and a short-but-steep climb. The race covered a total of 100 kilometers.
"It made for a very active and dynamic race," said USA Cycling's Managing Director of National Events Micah Rice. "Feedback from the teams was very positive."
AT&T USA Cycling Professional Criterium National Championship at the Glencoe Grand Prix
August 14, 2010
1. David Veilleux, Kelly Benefits Strategies 2:29:31
2. Bernie Sulzberger, Fly V Australia +00:00
3. Alessandro Bazzana, Fly V Australia +00:25
4. Daniel Holloway (Morgan Hill, Calif./BISSELL Pro Cycling) +00:27
5. Ken Hanson (Santa Barbara, Calif./Team Type 1) +00:27
6. Jonathon Cantwell, Fly V Australia +00:27
7. Alexander Candelario (Reno, NV/Kelly Benefits Strategies) +00:28
8. Shane Kline (Bally, Penn./BISSELL Pro Cycling) +00:29
9. Aldo Ino Ilesic, Team Type 1 +00:29
10. Kyle Wamsley (Topton, Penn./BISSELL Pro Cycling) +00:29
This Article Published August 14, 2010 For more information contact: