EVENT AND MEMBER INSURANCE COVERAGE
MEMBER ACCIDENT POLICY
USA Cycling provides supplemental accident medical coverage to its members participating in events. The requirements for coverage depend on the type of membership you have - more information can be found below.
The benefit provisions are as follows:
Medical Expense (maximum) $25,000*
Accidental Death and Dismemberment $1,000
*Maximum benefit of $500 for Dental, Orthopedic, Physical Therapy and Transportation. This accident medical policy does not stack with the Ride member accident medical policy. For example, if a licensed USAC member is also a Ride member, and that member participates in a USAC permitted Gran Fondo or Fun Ride, the insurance provided has a single limit of $25,000, not $50,000.
Our 2015 - 2016 policy provides coverage as follows:
1. It is supplemental coverage.
2. The accident medical policy’s deductible will be the same as the member’s primary medical policy’s deductible with a minimum deductible of $1,000 and a maximum deductible of $5,000. If the member does not have primary medical insurance, then the deductible is $5,000.
3. Once the primary carrier has paid their portion of the medical expenses, the USA Cycling carrier will pay 70% of the Reasonable and Customary remaining expenses ABOVE the deductible, up to a limit of $25,000.
Member Accident Insurance does not apply to loss caused by or resulting from:
1. An Insured Person who is in, entering or exiting any aircraft owned, operated or leased by USA Cycling;
2. An Insured Person acting or training as a pilot or crew member;
3. Emotional trauma, mental or physical illness, disease, pregnancy, childbirth or miscarriage, bacterial or viral infection, or bodily malfunctions;
4. Suicide, attempted suicide, or self-inflicted injuries; or
5. Declared or undeclared war.
Requirements for Coverage for Licensed Members (one-day/racing/coaches/officials/mechanics):
This coverage is distinct from that provided to Ride members (see below). The licensed member accident policy provides excess coverage for USA Cycling licensed members for dates specified on the permit application when they:
1. Participate in a USA Cycling permitted event;
2. Participate in training programs of USA Cycling under the direct supervision of the USA Cycling staff;
3. Notify a race official about their accident when it happens, even if they do not think they are badly injured;
4. Receive medical care and treatment within 30 days of the covered accident; and
5. File an accident claim form with the insurance company within 30 days.
* Claimants are advised to NOT pay for services up front without speaking with USA Cycling/Fairly Group representatives!
Requirements for Coverage for Ride Members:
This coverage is only valid for USA Cycling Ride members and is distinct from that which is provided to licensed members (one-day/racing/coaches/officials/mechanics) - see above for more information on this coverage.
The Ride member accident policy provides supplemental coverage for USA Cycling Ride members at Gran Fondo and Fun Ride events that meet the following criteria:
1. Event is non-competitive, meaning that no overall results/rankings or prizes are given.
2. Event requires an entry fee, minimum donation, or minimum fundraising commitment to participate.
The Ride member accident policy provides supplemental coverage for USA Cycling Ride members when they:
1. Notify event personnel about his or her accident when it happens, even if they do not think they are badly injured;
2. Receive medical care and treatment within 30 days of the covered accident; and
3. File an accident claim form with the insurance company within 30 days. (Have the event director fill out our First Report of Occurrence form.)
* Claimants are advised to NOT pay for services up front without speaking with USA Cycling/Willis representatives!
This Article Updated June 22, 2016 @ 10:37 PM For more information contact: