NCC: Alzate and Rivera repeat for Sunny King Criterium wins; take early NCC leads
UnitedHealthcare riders Carlos Alzate (COL) and Coryn Rivera (Tustin, Calif.) repeated their Sunny King Criterium victories from a year ago to take the top step of the podium on Saturday, as well as the early leads in the NCC standings.
Alzate's UnitedHealthcare teammates pulled him to the front and set him up to sprint to victory ahead of second- and third-place finishers Ricardo Escuela (ARG/Incycle-Predator Components) and David Guttenplan (Washington D.C./SeaSucker-Guttenplan Coaching). Rounding out the top five in the race and in the early NCC standings are Isaac Howe (Winooski, Vt./Champion System-Stans No Tubes) and Chad Burdzilauskas (Indianapolis, Ind./Kentucky Flyers Cycling-Texas Roadhouse Cycling Team).
In the women's race, Rivera was the only member of UnitedHealthcare's new women's team. She put herself into position going into the last corner and then beat out Erica Allar (Tucson, Ariz./Colavita Racing, Inc.), for the second year, in the field sprint finish. Crossing the line in third was Morgan Brown (Athens, Ga./Team Novo Nordisk) while fourth and fifth in Anniston and in the NCC standings went to Laura Van Gilder (Cresco, Pa./Van Dessel Factory Team p/b Mellow Mushroom) and Sarah Fader (Boulder, Colo./Mellow Mushroom).
UnitedHealthcare currently leads the NCC men's team standings with 100 points while Colavita Fine Cooking is the top women's team with 124 points.
USA Cycling NCC standings
1. Carlos Alzate Escobar (COL/UnitedHealthcare) - 100
2. Ricardo Escuela (ARG/Incycle-Predator Components) - 75
3. David Guttenplan (Washington D.C./SeaSucker-Guttenplan Coaching)- 60
4. Isaac Howe (Winooski, Vt./Champion System-Stans No Tubes) - 55
5. Chad Burdzilauskas (Indianapolis, Ind./Kentucky Flyers Cycling-Texas Roadhouse Cycling Team) - 50
1. Coryn Rivera (Tustin, Calif./UnitedHealthcare) - 100
2. Erica Allar (Tucson, Ariz./Colavita Racing, Inc.) - 75
3. Morgan Brown (Athens, Ga./Team Novo Nordisk) - 60
4. Laura Van Gilder (Cresco, Pa./Van Dessel Factory Team p/b Mellow Mushroom)- 55
5. Sarah Fader (Boulder, Colo./Mellow Mushroom) - 50
Men's Team Standings
1. UnitedHealthcare - 128
2. SeaSucker/Guttenplan Coaching - 60
3. Champion System - Stans NoTubes - 55
4. Jamis Hagens Berman - 49
5. Hincapie Sportswear Development - 45
Women's Team Standings
1. Colavita-Fine Cooking - 124
2. UnitedHealthcare - 100
3. Garneau Factory Team - 80
4. Pepper Palace Pro Cycling - 57
5. Pioneer Mortgage p/b Yourkey.com – 51
For complete standings, visit the National Criterium Calendar webpage.
The NCC will continue with the Charlotte-Belmont Omnium in Charlotte/Belmont, NC, April 12-13 and the Winston-Salem Classic Criterium in Winston-Salem, NC, on April 19.
This Article Updated April 10, 2014 @ 03:19 PM For more information contact: