Club Tool Kit
Designed for riders interested in racing and who have developed sufficient skills to handle their bikes at speed. This is best taught in park or venue with roads closed to traffic or with very light traffic. Remind everybody to stay aware of their surroundings. Note that this workout requires a high coach to rider ratio.
Sprint skills drills set-up:
- These courses need to be set up before the clinic
- “Waiting area” demarked with at least six big orange cones placed in a straight line perpendicular to the sidewalk that starts on corner one
- “Start line” 25 meters from “waiting area” marked with chalk
- “25 meter” sprint lines marked with soccer cones – plus two big cones in gutters
- “100 meter” sprint lines marked with soccer cones – plus two big cones in gutters
- “200 meter” sprint lines marked with soccer cones – plus two big cones in gutters
Set up the goals for sprinting this way
- There are two ways to win the race - breakaway or sprint. Sometimes both combined.
- Sprinting is a key component of “breaking away” or “attacking”
- Explain how clinic will go:
- Sprinting: head up, in drops, straight line
- 25m x 4 (good form)
- 100m x 8 (short sprint)
- 200m x 8 (slightly longer sprint)
- Intent: set expectations! Do not sprint if you have not worked on your sprint
Sprint Drill #1:
- Demo with six riders and six Coaches holding - big ring dead start- head up, in drops, hips up – hips come forward. Bike will not move!
- Demo with six riders and six Coaches - big ring dead start- head up, in drops, hips up – hips come forward (25 meters in a straight line)
- Before starting remind riders of the previous basics: protect your front wheel, predictable riding, heads up, awareness of road hazards, relax, assertive racing.
- Split up and head out on course – NEW! Count off 1-2-3-4 so four groups are formed if numbers warrant.
- Two plus laps rotating paceline warm-up. Right side forward, left side back. Tight formation. Be critical!
- Group 4 does 2 laps and stops at the start-finish line
- Group 3 does 2 laps and stops at the corner 3
- Group 2 does 2 laps and stops at the corner 2
- Group 1 does 3 laps and stops at the corner 1
- One Leader and three Coaches stay at the sprint area, the other leader and three Coaches roll with the group to the new areas
- Gather up: re-emphasis on: head up, in drops, straight line (leader)
- Skill #1: Part A – Biggest gear standing start. Coach holds the rider as the rider stands on the pedals and drives their hips forward (head up, in drops, hips move forward)
- Skill #1: Part B – Biggest gear standing start for 25m. Four practice attempts = 1 lap in total
- Skill #2: 100m sprints (not gear restricted). Rolling from the “waiting area” to the “start line” and “go”. Eight 100m sprints over 2 laps
- Skill #3: 200m sprints (not gear restricted). Rolling from the “waiting area” to the “start line” and “go”. Eight 200m sprints over 2 laps
- Wrap up, feedback, reminder to practice, practice, practice!
Coach roles @ Clinic
- At least one coach at each “finish” line (25m, 100m, 200m) offering encouragement and critique
- Stress the curriculum (head up, in drops, straight line)
- Feedback – give them encouragement and pointers to help them go faster (relax, core, not side to side)
- Assist leaders running through the drills (start; 100m, 200m)