|The Gran Fondo Alleghany is a timed, non-competitive ride through Virginia's Alleghany Highlands region and featuring three challenging route distances. The ride again features ex-professional cyclist Saul Raisin as our event patron, and proceeds benefit the Raisin Hope Foundation.
Gran Fondo: 108 miles, 11,500 ft. of climbing, with three Category 3 climbs (Pitzer Ridge, ascended twice and Lake Moomaw), and one Category 1 climb (Warm Springs Mtn.)
Medio Fondo: 72 miles, 6500 ft. of climbing, with one Category 3 climb (Pitzer Ridge) and one Category 1 climb (Warm Springs Mtn.)
Piccolo Fondo: 29 miles with one Category 3 climb (Pitzer Ridge)
Gran Fondo $75
Medio Fondo $55
Piccolo Fondo $35
**Early Bird Prices of $10 off the base entry fee end April 1st.**
Your Entry Fee Includes:
· Electronic Chip Timing and Results
· Fully stocked feed zones every 15-20 mi.
· Mechanical Support on the course
· Detailed Route Maps and Course Technical Guide
· Meal Coupons worth $10, redeemable at selected restaurants throughout the region for the entire weekend.
· Finishers' medals
· Equipment and Safety Regulations
Registrations may be completed online at:
|The Gran Fondo Alleghany Highlands is a ride, not a race. However, it will include a mass start, and is subject to some specific regulations under the permit granted by USA Cycling.
· All participants must wear a helmet
· Bicycles may not have motors or wind fairings attached
· No trailers of any kind are allowed
· All handlebar ends must be appropriately covered or plugged
· Tandems and recumbent bicycles are allowed; however riders of these bicycle types will be separately grouped at the start line
· During the registration process, you will be asked to provide your USA Cycling Road Racing Category, if you possess a USAC license. You do not need to possess a USA Cycling license to participate; but we will be lining up riders by experience/ability level.
Shuttle Service and Bike Valet
For 2013, the route begins in the City of Covington and finishes in Clifton Forge, 10 miles distant. Due to limited parking at the start, and a desire for all riders to participate in the Finish Line Festival, we will be running shuttle busses from a designated parking lot in Clifton Forge to the start in Covington from 6 AM to 7:30 AM on Saturday morning. This year, we will also offer limited shuttle bus service in the afternoon for riders who wish to park at the start in the morning.
Participants who use the morning shuttle bus service are encouraged to make use of our bike valet service in Covington. You may drop off your bike during number pick-up on Friday evening where it will be kept overnight in an armory with armed guardians on site.
There is no additional charge for the shuttle or bike valet services.
Cancellation and Refund Policies
The event will run rain, shine, wind or hail. Only extreme weather conditions (flooding) will result in the event being cancelled. Participants will receive full refund of their entry fee in this unlikely scenario.
Otherwise, no refunds. Registration slots may be transferred to another party with the consent of both parties.
Full details on number pick-up, parking and safety regulations will be available in the Event Technical Manual, which will be posted at the Home Page.
We look forward to seeing you on the start line in Covington on July 13!
|From Interstate 64 (East or West):
1.Take the US-60 W/US-220 N exit, EXIT 16A, toward Covington/Hot Springs.
2.Turn left onto Madison St E/US-60/US-220. Continue to follow US-60/US-220.
3. Turn slight left onto S Monroe Ave/US-60.
4. Turn right onto N McDonald Ave.
5. N McDonald Ave becomes E Main St.
6. 241 E MAIN ST is on the right.
Parking is available on-street and at the Covington Farmer's Market.
|For More Information:|
4900 THREE CHOPT RD.
(434) 465-1179 www.alleghanygranfondo.com