Cyclo-cross national championships underway in Wisconsin
Verona, Wis. (January 9, 2013) – USA Cycling on Wednesday awarded the first Stars-and-Stripes jerseys at the 2013 USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships at a snowy, muddy and cold Badger Prairie Park in Verona, Wis. Adam Craig (Bend, Ore./Giant Factory Off-Road) and Kari Studley (Bothell, Wash./Team Redline) won the men’s and women’s singlespeed races to earn the first national championships of the event.
Craig, who has won several cross-country and super D mountain bike national titles, added a singlespeed crown to his collection. Craig, who was wearing a fluorescent yellow helmet and denim shorts, bolted to a fast start and never looked back. He bested the field with a time of 43:14. Craig turned five laps of the course in 43:14, while Aaron Bradford (Santa Cruz, Calif./Bicycle Bluebook-HRS-Rock Lobster Cyclocross) finished 2:11 behind Craig in second place. Isaac Neff (Madison, Wis./Trek Cyclocross Collective) earned the bronze medal after finishing in 46:22.
“It's sweet out there, super fun,” Craig said. “There is a bunch of traction which is surprising because it looks like there wouldn't be. You can use snowbanks to exit corners, it's awesome. Hopefully it stays just like this all week because it will make for really interesting elite racing.”
In the women’s singlespeed race, Studley bested the 16-rider field to repeat as national champion after finishing with a time of 42:17. She was able to ride up the first climb on the first lap while her closest competitor was forced to run her bike up. Studley was the fastest rider of the field on each lap as she continually increased her advantage and cruised to collect the gold medal. Ellen Noble (Kennebunkport, Maine/Trek Cyclocross Collective) finished 32 seconds behind Studley to earn the silver while local rider, Amber Markey (Monona, Wis.) placed third.
“I was aware of my lead,” Studley said. “But I didn't want to take it for granted. So, I just basically kept racing myself and tried to push myself to go faster every lap. You just never know.”
The morning’s racing started with four non-championship races. Karen Brems (Redwood City, Calif./Team Rambuski Law) won the women’s non-championship race. Michael Vandenham (Hinesburg, Vt./Cycle-Smart) topped the men’s 10-29 podium, Christopher Newlin (Viroqua, Wis./My Wife Inc) won the men’s 30-39 race and Christopher Smith (Minneapolis, Minn./Hup United) earned the top spot of the men’s 40-and-up contest.
The racing continues until Sunday, Jan. 13. Thursday’s action features the first masters competitions. Masters men 50-and-up and masters women 40-and-up are slated to toe the line on Thursday.
Live Streaming of Elite Races
Sunday's elite races will be streamed live on USA Cycling’s YouTube channel beginning at 1 p.m. and 2:15 p.m. CST.
For complete details on this event, including a complete schedule, results, course map and a photo gallery, please visit the event web site. If you can’t make it out for the event, follow all of the action throughout the week of racing on Twitter using the hashtag #CXNats.
2013 USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships
Badger Prairie Park
Men's Singlespeed Race
1. Adam Craig (Bend, Ore./Giant Factory Off-Road) 43:14
2. Aaron Bradford (Santa Cruz, Calif./Bicycle Bluebook-HRS-Rock Lobster Cyclocross) +2:11
3. Isaac Neff (Madison, Wis.) +3:08
4. Jared Nieters (Haymarket, Va./SEAVS-Haymarket) +3:22
5. Adam Myerson (Dorchester, Mass./Team SmartStop p/b Mountain Khakis) +3:22
Women's Singlespeed Race
1. Kari Studley (Bothell, Wash./Team Redline) 42:17
2. Ellen Noble (Kennebunkport, Maine/Trek Cyclocross Collective) +0:32
3. Amber Markey (Monona, Wis.) +0:42
4. Katrina Dowidchuk (Wilmington, Del./Colavita Racing Inc.) +0:59
5. Ellen Sherrill (South Lake Tahoe, Calif./Bicycle Bluebook-HRS-Rock Lobster Cyclocross) +1:14
Women's Non-Championship Race
1. Karen Brems (Redwood City, Calif./Team Rambuski Law) 32:09
2. Stephanie Uetrecht (Bend, Ore./WebCyclery.com) +1:24
3. Mackenzie Green (Mason, Ohio/Queen City Wheels) +1:49
4. Emily Zinn (Boulder, Colo./Naked Women's Racing p/b TriBella) +1:52
5. Ashley Zoerner (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Groove Subaru-Alpha Bicycle Co) +2:00
Men's 10-29 Non-Championship Race
1. Michael Vandenham (Cycle-Smart) 44:57
2. Josey Weik (Wreshall, Minn./ISCorp Cycling NCSF) +0:40
3. Brannan Fix (Fort Collins, Colo.) +0:59
4. Maxwell Ackermann (Whitefish Bay, Wis.) +2:50
5. Zachary Bender (Glen Rock, N.J./Cycle-Smart Inc.) +3:29
Men's 30-39 Non-Championship Race
1. Christopher Newlin (Viroqua, Wis./My Wife Inc) 38:21
2. Molly Cameron (Portland, Ore./Portland Bicycle Studio) +0:07
3. Sheldon Miller (Craftsbury Common, Vt./Bikeman.com) +0:41
4. Eric Nelson (San Clemente, Calif./Mudfoot) +1:09
5. Adam Rachubinski (Centennial, Colo./Groove Subaru-Alpha Bicycle Co) +1:29
Men's 40-and-up Non-Championship Race
1. Christopher Smith (Minneapolis, Minn./Hup United) 38:35
2. William "Tyson" Hausdoerffer (Shorewood, Wis./Ks Energy Services-Team Wisconsin) +0:15
3. Brian Koeneman (Apple Valley, Minn./Team Wheel & Sprocket) +0:48
4. William Pankonin (Highland Park, Ill./Xxx Racing) +0:49
5. Andre-Paul Michaud (Durango, Colo./Durango Wheel Club) +1:12
- Cyclo-cross Nationals return to Madison on January 9 - Dec 28, 2012
This Article Published January 9, 2013 For more information contact: