Compton clinches overall 2013/14 UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup title with win in Rome
Rome, Italy (January 5, 2014) — Riding to her fifth consecutive UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup victory of the 2013/14 season, Katie Compton (Colorado Springs, Colo./Trek Cyclocross Collective) clinched the overall title in the elite women’s world cup standings on Sunday with her win in Rome, Italy.
The victory came nearly a year to the day that she secured last year’s overall title, also in Rome. Compton, the reigning national champion, placed second in the first world cup of the 2013/14 season but has won each stop since then. With only one world cup remaining and a win earning a rider 60 points, Compton’s point total of 350 puts her 101 points ahead of her nearest competitor, Nikki Harris of Great Britain.
Compton covered the muddy course in 36 minutes and 45 seconds, crossing the line 24 seconds ahead of Dutch rider and current world champion Marianne Vos (Rabobank-Liv/giant Women’s Cycling Team), who has now finished as runner-up to the American for the third consecutive world cup race. Italy’s Eva Lechner (Centro Sportivo Esercito) claimed bronze after finishing 1:10 behind Compton.
In the juniors men’s race, Peter Goguen (Hopedale, Mass./Race CF-RaceCF.org) was the top American, riding to 18th place. He finished 1:31 behind race winner Adam Toupalik of the Czech Republic. Goguen is also the best-placed U.S. rider in the juniors men’s world cup standings at 26th. Austin Vincent (Simsbury, Conn./ Race CF-RaceCF.org) placed 28th in Rome and Cooper Willsey (Hinesburg, Vt./Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com) finished in 32nd.
The elite men’s competition saw only one American at the start line: Jeremy Durrin (Easthampton, Mass./Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies), who finished down a lap in 48th place to winner Niels Albert (BEL/BKCP-Powerplus).
The seventh and final race of the 2013/14 UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup is January 26 in Nommay, France. The following weekend, USA Cycling will send a team of riders to compete at the 2014 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships in Hoogerheide, The Netherlands, on February 1-2.
UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup
January 5, 2014
1. Katie Compton (Colorado Springs, Colo./Trek Cyclocross Collective) 0:36:45
2. Marianne Vos (NED/ Rabobank-Liv/giant Women’s Cycling Team) +00:24
3. Eva Lechner (ITA/Centro Sportivo Esercito) +01:10
1. Niels Albert (BEL/BKCP-Powerplus) 1:06:33
2. Lars van der Haar (NED/Rabobank Development Team) +00:04
3. Sven Nys (BEL/Crelan-AA Drink) +00:05
48. Jeremy Durrin (Easthampton, Mass./Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies) -1 lap
1. Adam Toupalik (Czech Republic) 0:42:05
2. Kobe Goossens (Belgium) +00:24
3. Eli Iserbyt (Belgium) +00:42
18. Peter Goguen (Hopedale, Mass./Race CF-RaceCF.org) +01:31
28. Austin Vincent (Simsbury, Conn./ Race CF-RaceCF.org) +02:26
32. Cooper Willsey (Hinesburg, Vt./Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com) +02:56
This Article Updated January 6, 2014 @ 03:04 PM For more information contact: