USA Cycling Names 2018 UCI Cyclocross World Championships Team
(January 16, 2018) – USA Cycling announced today the thirty-one athletes that will represent the United States at the 2018 UCI Cyclocross World Championships set for Feb. 3-4 in Valkenburg-Limburg, Netherlands.
"We have assembled a talented team and look forward to competing against the world’s best cyclocross athletes at the World Championships on the hallowed and challenging Valkenburg circuit in cycling-crazy Limburg,” said Geoff Proctor, USA Cycling’s Cyclocross Performance Consultant.
Twelve of the thirty-one spots were filled through automatic selection criteria. The remaining selections were made by the USA Cycling selection committee who considered primarily international competition results, namely World Cups and Pan Am Championships, but also domestic results, head to head results, and nationals performances in their decisions.
The Team USA roster is as follows:
- Tristan Cowie (Triple Oaks Racing; Mills River, N.C.)
- Stephen Hyde* (Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld; Easthampton, Mass.)
- Cody Kaiser (LangeTwins/Specialized Bicycles/SRAM; El Dorado Hills, Calif.)
- Jack Kisseberth (JAM Fund/NCC; Westhampton, Mass.)
- Tobin Ortenblad* (Santa Cruz/Donkey Label; Santa Cruz, Calif.)
- Jeremy Powers (Aspire Racing; Easthampton, Mass.)
- Kerry Werner* (Kona Endurance Team; Birdsboro, Penn.)
- Elle Anderson (Cycling.be - Alpha Motorhomes; Oakland, Calif.)
- Katie Compton* (KFC Racing p/b Trek/Panache; Colorado Springs, Colo.)
- Rebecca Fahringer (Stan’s No Tubes/Maxxis; Concord, N.H.)
- Kaitin Keough* (Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld; Colorado Springs, Colo.)
- Courtenay McFadden (Pivot-DNA; Bellingham, Wash.)
- Ellen Noble* (Aspire Racing; Kennebunkport, Maine)
- Eric Brunner (EVOL DevoElite Racing; Boulder, Colo.)
- Maxx Chance (EVOL DevoElite Racing; Boulder, Colo.)
- Grant Ellwood (Boulder Cycle Sport; Boulder, Colo.)
- Gage Hecht* (Alpha Bicycle Co.- Vista Subaru; Parker, Colo.)
- Spencer Petrov (ASPIRE Racing; Mason, Ohio)
- Denzel Stephenson (EVOL DevoElite Racing; Boulder, Colo.)
- Hannah Arensman (J.A. King p/b BR'C; Rutherford College, N.C.)
- Katie Clouse (Alpha Bicycle Co.-Groove Subaru; Park City, Utah)
- Clara Honsinger (Washington State Bicycle Association, Portland, OR)
- Laurel Rathbun (Donnelly Cycling; Monument, Colo.)
- Emma Swartz (Trek Cyclocross Collective; Madison, Wisc.)
- Emma White* (Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld; Delanson, N.Y)
- Scott Funston* (Rad Racing NW; Maple Valley, Wash.)
- Benjamin Gomez Villafane* (Top Club; Scotts Valley, Calif.)
- Lane Maher (Hot Tubes Development Cycling; Harwinton, Conn.)
- Alex Morton* (Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld; Saint Clair, Mich.)
- Sam Noel (Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld; Shelburne, Vt.)
- Calder Wood* (Rad Racing NW; Anacortes, Wash.)
Automatic qualifiers are noted with an asterisk (*).
U23 National Champion Chris Blevins (Specialized; Durango, Colo.) automatically qualified for the World Championships with his win on Jan. 14; however, the athlete declined the invitation.
The 2018 Cyclocross World Championships selection criteria are available here. As outlined in the selection criteria, not all athletes receive full funding. If you would like to provide some assistance to U23 and Junior riders, please donate to the RallyMe fund here.
To cheer for Team USA at the 2018 World Championships, please follow @UCI_CX and @USACyclingLIVE on Twitter. The Olympic Channel will provide broadcast and webcast coverage. Please check the schedule at olympicchannel.com and your local listings. For more about the 2018 UCI Cyclocross World Championships, please visit the event website at limburg2018.com.
Please contact Kelly Feilke with questions.
USA Cycling Names 2018 UCI Track World Championships TeamVIEW ARTICLE