Collegiate Men, Women and Masters Men Take on #CXNats
January 10, 2018 (Reno, Nev.) -- The second day of racing at the 2018 USA Cycling Cyclocross National Championships included four collegiate events and three Men’s Masters categories. Windy conditions dried the mud from Tuesday’s rain for riders on the technical course at Rancho San Rafael Regional Park in Reno, Nevada.
The first collegiate Stars-and-Stripes championship jersey was awarded to Eric Brunner (Boulder, Colo.) of the University of Colorado-Boulder in the men’s Club category. Brunner took the win in a time of 48:31. Henry Nadell (Fort Collins, Colo.) representing Fort Lewis College won the men’s Varsity category in a time of 48:58.
In women’s collegiate races, Jennifer Malik (Columbus, Ohio) took the victory for Ohio State University in 27:42 in the Club category and Hannah Arensman (Rutherford College, N.C.) of Brevard College flew around the course in 44:28 for the Varsity title.
The first of the Master’s categories featured Scott Paisley (Charlottesville, Virg./MVC/Blue Wheel) taking the men’s 60-64 title in 44:39. Jon Miller (Newbury Park, Calif.) captured the men’s 65-69 division in 41:07.
Leading the charge in the 70+ category was John Elgart (Sacramento, Calif./Sacramento Golden Wheelmen), who powered to victory in the men’s 70-74 division in 31:13. Joe Wagner (Auburn, Wash.) held off Mike MacDonald (Rancho Cordova, Calif.) for the men’s 75-79 win in 30:50. Peter Dahlstrand (Berkeley, Calif.) soloed to victory in the men’s 80-84 division in 32:50. Frederic Schmid (Waco, Texas) took top honors in the 85+ event with a time of 31:10.
View all championship results at LiveLynxResults.com, .
Day Three of the championships on Thursday will kickoff at 8 a.m. PT and feature men’s and women’s 11-22 non-championship events, six Masters races for men along with the Collegiate Team Relay.
The USA Cycling Cyclocross National Championships will conclude at Rancho San Rafael Park in Reno on Sunday, Jan. 14. Live streaming will be available Sunday, Jan. 14 beginning at 12 p.m. ET on USA Cycling’s YouTube channel, and on participating cycling media websites.
Live championship race updates will be available on Twitter, , and you can join the conversation with the hashtag #CXNats on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Follow your favorite athletes this week at . One2Go will provide live lap splits for every athlete every time they cross the line for all events. Race results will be posted there and we will share on social media as well.
More information about the USA Cycling Cyclocross National Championships (including start lists, schedule, photos, and event recaps) is available on the (
Masters Men 60-64
1. Scott Paisley (Charlottesville, Virg./MVC/Blue Wheel) - 44:39
2. Barney Baxter (Raleigh, N.C./unattached) - 45:05
3. Jay Thornton (Laguna Beach, Calif./unattached) - 45:19
4. Robert Downs (Belleville Wisc./Wisconsin Cycling) - 45:29
5. Russell Thorstrom (Boise, Idaho/unattached) - 45:37
Masters Men 65-69
1. Jon Miller (Newbury Park, Calif./unattached) - 41:07
2. Tom Webb (Reno, Nev./unattached) - 41:47
3. Donald Bauder (Bigfork, Mont./Flathead Cycling Race Team) - 41:57
4. Eric Perryman (Chillicothe, Mo./unattached) - 42:38
5. Doug Long (Newbury Park, Cali./360 Racing p/b Kline Van / Wood) - 42:58
Masters Men 70-74
1. John Elgart (Sacramento, Calif./Sacramento Golden Wheelmen) - 31:13
2. Robert Ogren (Bloomington, Minn./Power Fix CX) - 31:36
3. William Richard Abbott (Boulder, Colo./unattached) - 32:28
4. Allan Marvin (Denver, Colo./unattached) - 33:32
5. Whitney Fanning (Waco, Texas/unattached) - 33:32
Masters Men 75-79
1. James Wagner (Auburn, Wash./unattached) - 30:50
2. Mike MacDonald (Cordova, Calif./unattached) - 31:14
3. Loren Russell (Corvallis, Ore./unattached) - 31:16
4. R Lee Willmore (Seal Beach, Calif./unattached) - 34:13
Masters Men 80-84
1. Peter Dahlstrand (Berkeley, Calif../unattached) - 32:50
Masters Men 85+
1. Frederic Schmid (Waco, Texas/unattached) - 31:10
Collegiate Men Club
1. Eric Brunner (Boulder, Colo.) University of Colorado-Boulder - 48:31
2. Grant Elwood (Boulder, Colo.) University of Colorado-Boulder - 49:05
3. Cooper Willsey (Hinesburg, Vt.) Furman University - 49:33
4. Maxx Chance (Boulder, Colo.) University of Colorado-Boulder - 50:41
5. Michael Landry (New Haven, Conn.) Yale University - 50:45
Collegiate Men Varsity
1. Henry Nadell (Carbondale, Colo.) Fort Lewis College - 48:58
2. Stephan Davoust (Durango, Colo.) Fort Lewis College - 49:02
3. Caleb Swartz (Madison, Wisc.) Marian University - 49:40
4. Brannan Fix (Fort Collins, Colo.) Colorado Mesa University - 49:46
5. Cade Bickmore (Longmont, Colo.) Marian University - 49:50
Collegiate Women Club
1. Jennifer Malik (Columbus, Ohio) Ohio State University - 27:42
2. Allison Mrugal (West Chester, Penn.) Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - 28:37
3. Sophie Russenberger (Bend, Ore.) Bard College - 28:37
4. Caitlin Neuman (Madison, Wisc.) University of Wisconsin – Madison - 28:51
5. Leslie Lupien (Enfield, N.H.) Dartmouth College - 29:13
Collegiate Women Varsity
1. Hannah Arensman (Rutherford College, N.C.) Brevard College - 44:28
2. Samantha Runnels (Austin, Texas) Lindenwood University - 44:59
3. Emma Swartz (Madison, Wisc.) Marian University - 45:28
4. Madeline Bemis (Corona, Calif.) Milligan College - 45:49
5. Mackenzie Myatt (Atlanta, Ga.) Savannah College of Art and Design - Atlanta - 46:33
Collegiate Omnium Standings After Cyclocross NationalsVIEW ARTICLE