2012 U.S. Olympic Trials - BMX Event Format
At the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials – BMX, participants will compete in two time trials, three motos, and a single main event final in order to determine a winner, who will then earn an automatic nomination to the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team. The following guidelines illustrate the format.
- The Field: Eight (8) riders selected from the U.S. Olympic Long Team for BMX will be competing for an automatic position to the final U.S. Olympic Team. The long team riders will be announced on May 31.
- Basics: The riders will compete in a total of six races: two time trials, three motos and a final. Points will be awarded to the top three finishers in the time trial and the top four finishers in each moto. The top six riders who have the highest points after moto #2 advance (the other two riders will be eliminated). Then the top four riders with the highest points after moto #3 advance to the final (the other two will be eliminated), and only the top four riders with the highest points will compete in the final. The final will only include the four riders, and a one-lap race will determine the winner who will be named to the 2012 U.S. Olympic BMX Team.
- Time Trial (Seeding): Riders will be seeded in the time trial event based upon the final standings of the 2012 USA Cycling BMX Power Rankings. The rider with the lowest ranking among the starters will ride first, followed by the next highest and so on. The top-ranked rider among the starters will ride last in the time trial.
- Time Trial (Placing): The top three riders in the time trial will be awarded 5, 3, and 1 point(s) respectively. Each rider will run two time trials and the best of two runs will count for the best time. In the case of a tie in the top three riders, the riders tied will both be awarded points for that placing, although it may preclude other riders from scoring. (Example: if two riders tie for second place, they will both receive three points, but the next rider would be fourth and receive no points.) If there is a tie for riders outside of the top three, the riders who tie will draw lots (or flip a coin) to determine placing.
- Motos (Lane Choice): There will be three motos. Lane choice for start positions for the moto #1 will be determined by the time trial, with the rider finishing first getting lane choice, followed by the second rider in the time trial and so on. In the case of a tie in the time trial, the riders who tie will flip a coin (the rider with the highest ranking from the final 2012 BMX Power Ranking calls the coin) to determine position for lane choice. Choice for start position in the subsequent motos will be determined by the current points standings. In the case of a tie in the points standings, the placing in the previous moto will be used as a tiebreaker.
- Motos (Placing): There will be two photo-finish cameras to determine order of finish. The top four riders in each moto will be awarded 10, 7, 5 and 3 points respectively. In the case of a dead heat (tie) for a position among the top four riders, the riders tied will both be awarded points for that placing, although it may preclude other riders from scoring. (Example: if two riders tie for third place, they will both receive 5 points, but the next rider would be fifth and receive no points.) If there is a tie for riders outside the top four, the riders who tie will draw lots (or flip a coin) to determine placing. In the case of a points tie after the second or third round, the tie breaker will be the rider's finish in the previous round. The maximum number of transfer positions will be six from the second round and four from the third round.
- Final (Lane Choice): Lane choice for start position in the final will be determined by current points standings after the time trial and motos are completed. In the case of a tie, the placing of the previous moto will be used as a tiebreaker.
- Final (Placing): The top four riders in the final will be determined by the one-lap race.
- Final Team Announcement: The final 2012 U.S. Olympic BMX Team will be announced on June 18, 2012.
- Complete Selection Information: Complete information on the selection procedures for the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team for BMX can be found on the USA Cycling website:
This Article Updated June 7, 2012 @ 08:57 AM For more information contact: