U.S. Paralympics names team for 2013 UCI Para-cycling World Championships
Colorado Springs, Colo. (July 5, 2013) — Today U.S. Paralympics, a division of the United States Olympic Committee, announced its roster of 26 U.S. athletes (that includes four pilots) who will compete at the upcoming 2013 UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships in Baie-Comeau, Canada, from August 29 to September 2.
The roster, which includes 12 male athletes and 14 female athletes, was named based on performances at the USA Cycling Para-cycling Road Race National Championships in Madison, Wis., on July 4.
The team is highlighted by 2012 three-time Paralympic gold medalist Muffy Davis, who is also a 2013 ESPY nominee, 2012 two-time Paralympic medalist Allison Jones, and three-time Paralympic medalist and 2012 UCI World Cup Overall Joe Berenyi. The team includes 15 U.S. Paralympians, 13 of which competed in cycling at the London 2012 Paralympic Games, who contributed to a total of 17 U.S. cycling medals won. Team USA finished in second place overall in the cycling competition in London — just two medals shy of host country Great Britain.
"The level of competition among our athletes continues to rise, and I was impressed by the performances of all 98 para-cyclists who participated in the National Time Trial Championships yesterday," said Ian Lawless, cycling high performance director, U.S. Paralympics. "Our partnership with USA Cycling continues to showcase the abilities of our athletes on the national stage, and has helped us select a very strong Team USA roster for the world championships."
*Denotes U.S. Paralympians
- *Joseph Berenyi (Aurora, Ill.)
- Matthew Bigos (Cardiff by the Sea, Calif.)
- Jonathan Copsey (Carmel Valley, Calif.), Marine Corps veteran
- *Will Groulx (Portland, Ore.), Navy veteran
- Aaron Keith (Sterling, Va.)
- William Lachenauer (Reno, Nev.)
- Jeffrey Martin (Oceanside, Calif.) Marine Corps, veteran
- *Steven Peace (Albion, Mich.), Navy veteran
- *Clark Rachfal (Annapolis, Md.)
- *Oz Sanchez (Los Angeles, Calif.)
- *David Swanson (Tucson, Ariz.), pilot
- *Matthew Updike (Denver, Colo.)
- *Monica Bascio (Evergreen, Colo.)
- Shawn Chesire (Syracuse, N.Y.), Army veteran
- *Alicia Dana (Putney, Vt.)
- *Muffy Davis (Sun Valley, Idaho/Salt Lake City, Utah)
- *Megan Fisher (Missoula, Mont.)
- Samantha Heinrich (Spring Hill, Fla.)
- *Allison Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
- *Greta Neimanas (Chicago, Ill./Ashville, N.C.)
- Rachael Scdoris (Bend, Ore.)
- Jennifer Triplett (Colorado Springs, Colo.), pilot
- Lisa Turnbull (Springfield, Ore.), pilot
- Jamie Whitmore (Sacramento, Calif.)
- *Karissa Whitsell (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
- *Mackenzie Woodring (Belmont, Mich), pilot
To view complete results from the USA Cycling Para-cycling Road Race National Championships, please visit www.usacycling.org/2013/amateur-road-para-nationals.
This Article Updated August 16, 2013 @ 09:37 PM For more information contact: