Name: Tim Johnson
Current Residence: Topsfield, Mass.
Hometown: Topsfield, Mass.
Birthdate: August 5, 1977
Birthplace: Middleton, Mass.
Weight: 150 lbs.
Team: Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com
Personal Website: timjohnson.cx
High School: Masconomet Regional (Topsfield, Mass.) Class of '95
College: Lindsey Wilson College
Foreign Languages Spoken: Some Spanish
Other Sports Played: Soccer (10 years) and Baseball (youth)
- 3rd, 2014 USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships, Elite men
- 1st, 2009 USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships, Elite men
- 1st, 2007 USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships, Elite men
- 1st, 2000 USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships, Elite men
- 1st, 1999 USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships, U23 men
- 1st, 1998 USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships, U23 men
- 1st, 1995 USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships, Juniors men
- 3rd, 1999 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships, U23 men
- Represented U.S. at 2002 & 2003 UCI Road World Championships
- Competed at 1995 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships as a junior
Favorite Race: Gran Prix of Gloucester or San Francisco Gran Prix (road)
Favorite Place to Train: Anywhere that the riding community is fun — usually around the Boston area, New England mountains or Southern California mountains.
Best Advice Received From a Coach When Starting Out: "Eh kid, are you doing this for real or just doing it?"
Motivation: I'm always trying to keep that motivation fresh. After lots of seasons, it's good to adapt to what drives you that day while keeping the original mission near the forefront. I'm always trying to challenge myself.
Cycling & Personal/Career Goals: A world championship medal in the elite category and national champion in cyclo-cross. For my personal life, I'd like to push my skills and learn new things to be a better person.
First Involvement in Cycling: I started out riding mountain bike with friends after spending my childhood on BMX bikes and skateboards. Connecting with a group of friends through my local bike shop, I started to attend more and more races before also trying cyclo-cross and road racing. I turned professional on the road in 2001.
Charity Work/Community Involvement: Works with People for Bikes on the Ride on Washington and Ride on Chicago (multi-day rides to raise money for People for Bikes and to highlight advances in bicycle advocacy and infrastructure).
Hobbies: Fishing, craft beer and wine tasting, running and cross-country skiing
Family: His wife, Lyne Bessette, is a three-time Olympian from Canada who competed in cycling and paralympic cycling in Sydney (2000), Athens (2004) and London (2012). She was also a national champion in cyclo-cross, road and track.
This Article Published January 31, 2014 For more information contact: