Name: Ruth Winder
Current Residence: Lafayette, Calif.
Hometown: Yorkshire, England
Birthdate: July 9, 1993
Birthplace: Yorkshire, England
Weight: 130 lbs.
High School: Winder Academy (Walnut Creek, Calif.) Class of '11
Current Coach: Harvey Nitz
Team: UnitedHealthcare Pro Cycling Team
Personal Website: ruthwinder.blogspot.com
- 1st, 2013 USA Cycling Elite Timed Track National Championships, Women's Team Pursuit
- 1st, 2010 USA Cycling Track National Championships, Women's Team Pursuit
- 1st, 2010 USA Cycling Junior Track National Championships, 17-18 Scratch Race
- 1st, 2009 USA Cycling Junior Road National Championships, 15-16 Road Race
Other Notable Achievements
- Best Young Rider at 2013 Philly Cycling Classic
- Domestique for Mara Abbott on the USA Cycling National Team during her victory at the 2013 Giro Rosa
Favorite Place to Train: At home in Norther California
Best Cycling Memory: Winning the scratch race as a junior in 2010 at the national championships
Best Advice Received From a Coach When Starting Out: Learning how to ride in wind, and how to relax and be calm before the start of a race.
Motivation: I have a strong desire to be the best I can be. Because of that I'm always pushing myself hard. My parents and family also give me a lot of motivation. I want to make them proud and do well as a thank you for everything they give me.
Hero/Role Model: My Mum and Dad.
Cycling & Personal/Career Goals: To win a gold medal at the Olympics. I hope to be racing my bike for many, many years and hope to have more than one chance at that opportunity. After competing in the sport I hope to coach and direct a women's cycling team and junior program.
Did You Know?: Ruth does not yet have any education past high school...since has been a full-time bike racer since the age of 18 and was homeschooled through high school...she has three sisters (one of whom races bikes) and two brothers.
First Involvement in Cycling: My parents have been cyclists and it was only natural that I started to ride a bike. I always enjoyed outdoor sports.
Hobbies: Drawing, going for walks with her dog, and shopping
This Article Updated February 27, 2014 @ 10:39 PM For more information contact: