BMX Coaches Certification Program
USA Cycling has a two-tier BMX coach certification program. The entry level (Level 3) is a home-study, self-pace course. The second tier (Level 2) requires attendance at a USA Cycling BMX Level 2 certification clinic. Both levels require the passing of the certification exam. As with other USA Cycling Coaches Licenses, all applicants must:
- be either a US citizen or a legal resident residing in the US
- be at least eighteen (18) years of age
- "pass" a criminal background check
- Order Introduction to BMX Coaching (BMX Level 3 manual). This can be purchased online once logged in to your USA Cycling account. If you don’t have an account you will have to create one by clicking on the “My Account” button on the upper right of USA Cycling website. This can also be ordered via regular mail by sending in the Order Form.
- Read and Study Introduction to BMX Coaching.
- Take the Level 3 test online (the test is only available online in your account following your purchase of Introduction to BMX Coaching). A score of 80% or better is passing. If you score less than 80%, you may retake the test after 14 days have passed. Please see Directions for Taking the Level 3 Exam Online below for more information on this process.
- Complete BMX Coaching License Application and Risk/Media waivers and send to USA Cycling via firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 719-434-4325 or regular mail to USA Cycling, Coaching License Application, 210 USA Cycling Pt, Ste. 100, Colorado Springs, CO 80919.
- Review and complete a Criminal Background Check. If you have a current background check from USA Triathlon, you will have to contact NCSI to release the results to USA Cycling
- Your BMX Coaching License will be issued* only after passing the BMX Level 3 test, your completed and signed Coaching License application and Risk/Media waiver are received, and the Criminal Background check is cleared and received by USA Cycling.
Directions for Taking the Level 3 Exam Online
The BMX level 3 exam is available immediately following the purchase of the Introduction to BMX Coaching manual.
Login to your USA Cycling account, click on “Account” which is located below your welcome header. On the corresponding page click the link “Coaching Links (including tests)”, and then click on "Take Level 3 BMX Coach Test Online". Finally click on the test link and start the test. Once you start the test, you have 14 days to complete it. If the test session is inactive for 14 days, the results will be lost, and you will need to start over again. You can save the test and return to it, however, once you leave a page, you cannot return to change answers. Unanswered questions will come back again. Please do NOT use the browser "BACK" button to go back in the test. If you use the “BACK” button test answers will be lost.
The test covers information provided in Introduction to BMX Coaching as well as information found in UCI rule books and/or USA Cycling rule books.
Once finish and submitted, the test will be scored immediately and your results will be displayed. If you pass the test (80% or better), you will be given the option to see the questions you missed.
Once you pass the test, please refer to Step 4 (above) under the Steps to Becoming a USA Cycling Coach.
If you fail the test, you may retake the test after 14 days have passed. Your missed answers will not be shown if you fail the test.
TIP: Depending on the web browser and version of web browser, we suggest you open the test in one window or tab and open another window or tab to view the rule book(s). As the rule books are searchable, this may assist you while taking the test.
Following up on the coaching license application
During January and February of each year please allow extra time for processing due to the volume of coaching license applications.
To check the status of our license, please login to your USA Cycling account page and clink on the License Info tab where you can check the status of your license.
**Important information for ALL coaches**
- Review the continuing education policy. You are responsible for knowing and keeping up to date on the continuing education policy.
- The BMX level 3 is a home study, self-paced course. You will need a USA Cycling account in order to take the exam online. The test is available following the purchase of the Introduction to BMX Coaching manual.
- USA Cycling can only certify US legal residents or US citizens as coaches. Non-US citizens living abroad are not eligible for coaching certification.
- At the discretion of USA Cycling, any individual who has admitted to, pleaded no contest in regard to, been convicted of or served a sentence for a violation of the USADA, WADA, or UCI anti-doping code may be denied a coaching license.
- Any coach whose license expired prior to 12/31/2008 must re-apply for their Level 3 license.
- All annual licenses expire on December 31 of the year they are issued and must be renewed annually to remain active. All 2-yr licenses will expire on December 31 of the following the year in which they were issued and must be renewed every other year to remain active (coaches may renew their license 30-days prior to the end of the year for the following year).
Level 2 Certification
In order to become a Level 2 coach, you will need to be a Level 3 coach first. However, there is no required time that a person needs to be a Level 3 coach to attend the Level 2 clinic. In order to take the Level 2 certification exam, the coach must attend the Level 2 clinic.USA Cycling will be hosting three (3) Level 2 BMX Clinics in 2013. These clinics are tentatively scheduled for:
August 9-11, Colorado Springs, CO
More details on these clinics will be posted here shortly.
BMX certified coaches will have a continuing education requirement starting with the 2013 license year. You can review the requirements for the "legacy" coaches program to get an idea of the scope of the CEU policy.
This Article Published December 12, 2011 For more information contact: