Eligibility guidelines for 2013 Masters Cyclo-cross World Champs
The eligibility guidelines for participation in the 2013 UCI Masters Cyclo-cross World Championships, scheduled for Jan. 29 - Feb. 1, in Louisville, Ky., have been announced.
- Rider must be of cyclo-cross racing age of 30 or older.
- Riders who appear in the UCI elite cyclo-cross rankings or have earned UCI elite classification points in the 2012-13 season are ineligible for the Masters World Championships.
- Riders who participated in the UCI Elite Cyclo-cross World Championships, Continental Cyclo-cross Championships or any UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup during the 2011-2012 season are ineligible to compete at Masters Worlds.
- Any rider who has been a member, during the 2012-13 season, of a team registered with the UCI in any discipline is ineligible for the Masters World Championships.
- There will be no ability category restrictions in order for riders to compete.
All racers will be required to hold a 2013 UCI Masters license. For U.S.-based Masters age racers unaccustomed to this requirement, USA Cycling recommends beginning the application process as soon as the 2013 licenses will be available for purchase on December 1, 2012. The international license allows riders to compete in domestic road, mountain bike, cyclo-cross and track events; therefore riders will not need to purchase a separate domestic license for the 2013 season.
International Licensing Process
The application process requires several steps, including a signature on the international license athlete release form and proof of nationality. Riders will need to make sure the signed waivers and proof of citizenship are submitted to and processed by USA Cycling well in advance of the event. If these are not received and processed, the rider will be ‘pended’ in the system and will not be allowed to compete.
What are the additional steps?
- Once the international license has been purchased online at www.usacycling.org, riders will be prompted to download, sign and submit the athlete signature page. This may be submitted to USA Cycling via fax, email (scan) or postal mail.
- Provide a copy of your birth certificate or valid passport for proof of citizenship. If a rider is just renewing their international license, they do not need to provide a proof of citizenship if it’s already on file with USA Cycling.
Qualifying and Field Limits
The UCI Masters Cyclo-cross World Championships have a UCI-mandated field limit of 80 riders for the championship races. If an age group is listed as having heats in the schedule then heats will be run to determine call up for the finals. Riders will be called up by random draw in the heats. Start order for the World Championship final will be according to the results of the heats, where the winners of each heat will be called up first, the second-place finishers called up next and so forth. Should an age group exceed 80 riders by race day, a repechage will be run as the final means of qualifying for the Championship race.
Please see the technical guide for total field limits.
Start Order/Call-Ups/Finals Qualification
- Call-ups for all heats, all repechage rounds, and Finals without heats will be by random draw. In fields with “seeding heats” scheduled, riders must participate in the heats in order to compete in the Finals. Heats and Repechage Rounds will determine call-up position for the final championship race.
- The finals will be raced with 80 riders with eight coming from the Repechage. The Repechage is open to all racers who did not qualify for the Finals coming out of their qualifying heat. There will be no repechage held if the field size does not exceed 80 riders as all riders will have the opportunity to race the Championship race
- For the world championship final, riders will be called up by their order of finish in their heats (all first riders of the different heats, all second riders of the different heats and so forth).
- A second final — or Consolation Final — will be raced to determine finishing places 81-onward.
The random draw will be conducted on-site at registration. The rider who draws number 1 will be called up first and so on. Riders will draw their own numbers.
For more information on the 2013 Cyclo-cross World Championship events, please visit USA Cycling's Cyclo-cross World Championship webpage.
For Sponsorship information and other queries about the races please contact:
Joan Hanscom, Event Director
The Elite World Championships will take place in Louisville's Eva Bandman Cyclocross Park on Feb. 2 and 3 and the Masters on Jan. 29-Feb. 1 at Champions Park. The events in Louisville represent a historic first for the sport of cyclo-cross; never before in the 60+ year history of the sport have the Elite Cyclo-cross World Championships been held outside of Europe. For more information about travel, hotels and things to do in Louisville please visit www.Louisville2013.com.
- 2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships - Sep 13, 2012