Junior & U23 XC Mountain Bike Development Race Camps
In an effort to extend international development opportunities to a larger number of our best young U.S. mountain bikers, USA Cycling will organize three cross-country mountain bike development camps in Europe, Canada and the U.S. for the spring and summer of 2014. Riders who are eager to improve through international competition are encouraged to use these camps as a primary development tool.
2014 Camp Dates
- May 15-25: Will support junior 17-18 men and U23 men
- July 2 - July 13: Will support junior 17-18 men and women as well as U23 men and women
- July 24-27: Will support junior men and women aged 15-18
2014 Race Schedule
- May 18 — Mont Tremblant, Canada Cup, UCI Junior Series (camp #1)
- May 25 — Baie Ste Paul, Canada Cup, UCI C1 (camp #1)
- July 5 — Cleran MTB Cup, Sankt Vith, Belgium, UCI C2 (camp #2)
- July 6 — Landgraaf International, Netherlands, UCI C2 (camp #2)
- July 13 — Schopp Bundesliga, Germany, UCI C2 (camp #2) or...
- July 13 — BMC Racing Cup, Lenzerheide, Switzerland UCI Junior Series (camp #2)
- July 26 — Catamount Classic Pro XCT, UCI Junior Series (camp #3)
- 2013 cross-country mountain bike U23 men and women national champions and 2013 cross-country mountain bike junior men and women category 1, 17-18 age group national champions will only be required to pay for their round-trip airfare.
- Any rider who qualified for automatic nomination to the 2013 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships will only be required to pay for their round-trip airfare. This only applies to riders who qualify for the same age category at the 2014 development camp as they raced in 2013.
- All other attending riders will be required to pay for their round-trip airfare as well as an $1,000 camp fee for camps #1 and #2. The rider fee for Camp #3 will be $600.
- All interested riders should petition for a specific camp using the MTB Development Race Camp petition form [downloads as a Word doc]. This form should be emailed directly to Marc Gullickson at email@example.com on or before the petition deadlines:
- Camp #1 Deadline: April 14
- Camp #2 Deadline: June 2
- Camp #3 Deadline: June 30
- For the first two camps, riders will be selected based on 2013 and 2014 international and domestic race results.
- For camp #3, top 15-18 year-old junior men and women performers from the two (2) USA Cycling Regional Mountain Bike Talent ID Camps may be given special consideration.
- Provide high-level UCI race experience for our country's best young mountain bike riders.
- Offer an alternative to using the world championships as a development tool. The world championships should be viewed as a secondary goal after a rider has performed successfully at one of the mountain bike development camps. Of course, any rider who meets the published world championship automatic selection criteria will be selected for the world championship team.
- Give riders an opportunity to experience high-level international competition in a supportive team atmosphere in advance of their participation in other top-tier events such as world cups and world championships.
- In 2015, our goal will be to offer even more opportunities for U23 and Junior riders to race and train in Europe.
- Riders interested in attending 2015 mountain bike development race camps should strive to attain top results in the Cross-country Mountain Bike National Championships as well as USA Cycling Pro XCT events. International results as well as results from these domestic events will be used as the main selection events for the 2015 camps.
This Article Published March 10, 2011 For more information contact: