Important information for Junior, U23 and Elite Road Nationals
May 16, 2008
Dear USA Cycling Member,
Now that the 2008 competitive cycling season is in full swing, I know many of you are already thinking about this season’s USA Cycling Junior, U23 and Elite Road National Championships. Scheduled for Aug. 6-10 in Anaheim, Calif., this year’s edition will once again crown national champions in time trial, road race, and criterium events.
Based on valuable feedback from our members, USA Cycling has implemented several changes in order to create a better experience for our athletes. Some of these changes include the elimination of field size limits and the addition of qualifying heats if necessary, the implementation of on-site registration and race-day packet pick-up, a refund option in case your plans change, and an escalating registration fee structure.
The following guidelines provide all of you with the information you need to experience an enjoyable and successful event. Please take a moment to read the below eligibility requirements, registration guidelines and general rules.
In the next few weeks, USA Cycling will publish a daily event schedule, course maps and profiles and additional information pertaining to the 2008 USA Cycling Junior, U23 and Elite Road National Championships. Should you have any further questions related to the event, please don’t hesitate to contact the National Events Department of USA Cycling at 719-866-4581 or e-mail USA Cycling National Events Manager Tom Vinson at email@example.com.
Good luck in 2008!
Yours in Cycling,
CEO, USA Cycling
2008 USA CYCLING JUNIOR, U23 AND ELITE ROAD NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
ELIGIBILITY, RULES & REGISTRATION GUIDELINES
1. ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST HAVE A CURRENT & VALID USA CYCLING LICENSE WITH THE PROPER CATEGORY AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION. Only riders who have a current and valid USA Cycling license will be allowed to register. Riders must also be licensed for the category in which they are attempting to register. If you do not have a current and valid USA Cycling license, the easiest way to obtain one is via the USA Cycling website at www.usacycling.org. You may purchase, renew and/or request a category upgrade online on your My USA Cycling page.
1. At the time of registration, all participants in the USA Cycling Junior, U23 and Elite Road National Championships MUST meet the minimum required category for the respective races according to the 2008 USA Cycling Rulebook. Riders attempting to register for a race without having the required category will be removed from the registration list with no refund provided.
2. All participants in the 2008 Junior, U23 and Elite Road National Championships MUST be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident depending upon the category as outlined below:
a. Junior 10-16: Participants MUST be either a U.S. Citizen OR permanent resident
b. Junior 17-18: Participants MUST be a U.S. Citizen
c. U23: Participants MUST be a U.S. Citizen
d. Elite: Participants MUST be a U.S. Citizen
3. U23 athletes who are on a UCI ProTour roster are not eligible to compete at the USA Cycling Junior, U23 and Elite Road National Championships.
4. Men over the race age of 22 who are members of any UCI-registered trade team (ProTour, Professional Continental, Continental) are not eligible to compete at the USA Cycling Junior, U23 and Elite Road National Championships.
5. Age Group/Category Participation:
a. Junior 10-16 participants MUST race in their respective age groups, subject to category restrictions
b. Junior 17-18 participants MAY race in both their age group and/or the Elite races, subject to category restrictions
c. U23 participants MAY race in both their age group and/or the Elite races, subject to category restrictions.
1. PARTICPANTS MAY ONLY REGISTER ONE START SPOT PER ATHLETE. Riders are allowed to register one start spot per athlete, per race. Start spots are not allowed to be held, sold or otherwise transferred to other riders at a later time.
2. REGISTRATION FOR THE 2008 USA CYCLING JUNIOR, U23 AND ELITE ROAD NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS WILL OPEN 60 DAYS PRIOR TO THE FIRST DAY OF THE EVENT. Online registration for the 2008 edition will open at 12:00 p.m. EDT on Saturday, June 7 at www.sportsbaseonline.com. Please note: In 2008 USA Cycling has introduced an open registration process with NO MAXIMUM FIELD SIZE LIMIT and the option of running heats if warranted by the number of registrants. The determination of whether or not heats are necessary will be made by USA Cycling officials following the close of online registration and all affected participants will be notified by e-mail. Online registration will close at 12:00 p.m. EDT on Friday, Aug. 1.
3. In an attempt to encourage members to register for the event early, USA Cycling has implemented a LATE ONLINE REGISTRATION period. The late online registration period will begin two weeks prior to the close of online registration at 12:00 p.m. EDT on Friday, July 18. Members who register online after this time will incur an additional $25.00 late registration fee PER RACE in addition to the original registration fee.
4. Also, in an attempt to allow as many competitors as possible to register for the event, USA Cycling will also allow late on-site registration. Participants may register for the 2008 USA Cycling Junior, U23 and Elite Road National Championships up until one day prior to their respective race. All on-site registration must be completed by the close of registration the day BEFORE your race. Please note: All on-site registrants will incur a 100% increase in the original registration fee.
5. USA Cycling will accommodate refund requests up until two weeks prior to the opening of on-site registration. Refunds will no longer be considered after 12:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, July 22. All refunds are subject to a 20% processing fee.
6. Packet Pick-up/On-site Registration will be available every day throughout the event at the host hotel (Hilton Anaheim Convention Center). There will be specific times designated each day. USA Cycling encourages participants to pick up their race packets during these times. In order to pick up your packet, you MUST present your valid USA Cycling license at packet pick-up/registration. Additional on-site packet pick-up will be available at the start line each day, subject to a $20.00 late fee.
IMPORTANT REGISTRATION DATES
Sat., June 7 (12:00 p.m. EDT): Online Registration Opens at www.sportsbaseonline.com
Fri., July 18 (12:00 p.m. EDT): Late Online Registration Period Begins ($25 late fee charged)
Tues., July 22 (12:00 p.m. EDT): Refunds No Longer Granted
Fri., Aug. 1 (12:00 p.m. EDT): Online Registration Closes
Tues., Aug. 5: On-Site Registration Begins (100% increase in registration fee)
1. NEW FOR 2008 USA CYCLING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS: For all National Championships for riders ages 17 and up (i.e., junior 17-18, U23, elite, and masters), all bikes must be UCI legal. For any questions regarding bike measurements please click here.
2. Individual Time Trials are open to ALL categories – men’s categories 1-5 and women’s categories 1-4.
3. ROAD RACE RULES:
· The Junior 10-14 men’s and Junior 10-18 women’s road races are open to ALL categories
· The Junior 15-18 men’s road races are restricted to category 1-3 participants only
· The U23 women’s road race is restricted to category 1-3 participants only
· The U23 men’s road race is restricted to category 1-2 participants only
· The Elite women’s road race is restricted to category 1-2 participants only
· The Elite men’s road race is restricted to category 1 participants only
4. CRITERIUM RULES:
· The Junior 10-14 men’s and Junior 10-18 women’s criteriums are open to ALL categories
· The Junior 15-18 men’s criteriums are restricted to category 1-3 participants only
· The U23 women’s criteriums is restricted to category 1-3 participants only
· The U23 men’s criteriums is restricted to category 1-2 participants only
The Hilton Anaheim Convention Center will serve as the official race hotel. Other area accommodations are available through the event’s housing website at: www.gettravel.com/sports/USACycling/
This Article Published May 16, 2008 For more information contact: