Huck Garners Gold at Pan Am Championships
Huck’s winning time of 1 hour, 18 minutes and 30 seconds on the 8,000-foot elevation course was 56 seconds better than runner-up and defending champion Daniela Campuzano of Mexico. Argentina’s Agustina Apaza was third, 1:37 back of Huck. Chloe Woodruff (Prescott, Ariz./Stan’s NoTubes-Pivot) finished ninth, 5:09 behind.
"Pan Ams was a fun and very challenging course," said Huck. "The altitude, at nearly 8,500 (feet), was a factor, and the steep climbs and tricky descents demanded focus 100 percent of the time. My strategy was to focus on being smooth and steady throughout the race and have fun on the flowy, punchy course. I'm thrilled to have won my first Pan Am Championships and grateful to USA Cycling for the support."
Keegan Swenson (Park City, Utah/Cannondale-3Rox) made it three top-10 finishes on the day for Team USA with a fifth-place showing in the elite men’s race. Swenson was 2:26 behind winner Catriel Soto of Argentina. Brazil took the other two podium spots with Henrique Avancini placing second, 33 seconds back, and Luis Cocuzzi finishing third, 54 seconds behind Soto.
Payson McElveen (Durango, Colo./Team RideBiker p/b Sho Air) was 22nd (+7:42) and Alex Wild (Los Gatos, Calif./Trail Head Racing-Specialized) finished 33rd (+13:33) to round out the American riders.
In Saturday’s elite men’s downhill competition, Shane Leslie (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) was the top American in seventh place with a time of 2:36.62. Tanner Stephens (Concord, Calif.) narrowly missed a top-10 finish, placing 12th in 2:39.40. Max Morgan (Weaverville, N.C.) joined Leslie and Stephens in the top 20 with a 17th-place showing and a time of 2:40.64. Other U.S. team members competing were Joshua Rogers (Clayton, N.C.) in 28th (2:45.30) and Alex McAndrew (East Hardwick, Vt.) in 40th (2:49.60).
See photo gallery from the event.
1. Catriel Soto (ARG) – 1:16:01
2. Henrique Avancini (BRA) -- +:33
3. Luis Cocuzzi (BRA) -- +:54
5. Keegan Swenson (Park City, Utah/Cannondale-3Rox) -- +2:26
22. Payson McElveen (Durango, Colo./Team RideBiker p/b Sho Air) -- +7:42
33. Alex Wild (Los Gatos, Calif./Trail Head Racing-Specialized) -- +13:33
1. Erin Huck (Boulder, Colo./Cannondale-3Rox) – 1:18:30
2. Daniela Campuzano (MEX) -- +:56
3. Agustina Apaza (ARG) -- +1:37
9. Chloe Woodruff (Prescott, Ariz./Stan’s NoTubes-Pivot) -- +5:09
1. R. Gutierrez Villegas (COL) – 2:32.90
2. Jeronimo Paez (ARG) – 2:33.96
3. S. Ceballos Otalvaro (COL) – 2:34.18
7. Shane Leslie (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) – 2:36.62
12. Tanner Stephens (Concord, Calif.) – 2:39.40
17. Max Morgan (Weaverville, N.C.) – 2:40.64
28. Joshua Rogers (Clayton, N.C.) – 2:45.30
40. Alex McAndrew (East Hardwick, Vt.) – 2:49.60
This Article Updated April 4, 2017 @ 03:46 AM For more information contact: