- 1st place - 2011 National Racing Calendar women’s overall standings
- 1st place – 2011 Cascade Classic
- 1st place – 2011 Tour de Toona
- 1st place – 2011 Joe Martin Stage Race
- 1st place – 2011 Sunny King Criterium
- 1st place – 2011 Benton Park Classic
- 2nd place – 2011 Stage 6 Cascade Classic
- 3rd place – 2011 Tour of Elk Grove
Points of Interest
- Janel holds a Bachelor of Science in chemical engineering and a Masters of Education in teaching and curriculum design.
- As a junior high student, Janel was a few strides ahead of her fellow athletes, having to leave her 7th and 8th grade classes early to train with the varsity long distance running team.
- Janel loves to pour energy into cooking, an activity that helps fuel her training.
PersonalAn athlete her entire life, Janel’s background is as a distance runner. She started out very young and competed in cross-country and track throughout her college years while earning a degree in chemical engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. With college graduation came a move to San Diego, a new career as a high school math and science teacher, and a loss of interest in running.
Something had to fill the void, and that something was a bike. Janel’s husband, Chad, got her hooked on cycling in 2006 as a member of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training.
As her competitive side resurfaced, the newcomer dove head first into the Southern California race scene. In 2007, the doors of professional cycling were opened to Janel as she got the chance to guest ride for Webcor in the Bermuda Grand Prix where she placed third in the uphill time trial. She had her breakthrough season in 2011 when she won the Cascade Classic and ended the season as the number-one ranked woman on USA Cycling’s National Racing Calendar.
This Article Published November 30, 2011 For more information contact: