Name: Elizabeth Newell
Current Residence: Oakland, Calif.
Hometown: Hudson, Ohio
Birthdate: March 26, 1982
Birthplace: Cleveland, Ohio
Weight: 127 lbs.
High School: Hudson H.S. (Hudson, Ohio) Class of '00
College: Wesleyan University '04
Degree(s)/Major(s): College of Social Studies
Other Sports Played: Competed in track & field for 7 years, running the 400m and 1600m relay.
Competitive Cycling Accomplishments
- 1st, 2011 USA Cycling Elite Track National Championships, Omnium & Points Race
- 2nd, 2013 UCI Track World Cup (Manchester, England), Points Race
- 1st, 2013 Pan American Continental Championships, Scratch Race
- 2nd, 2013 International Belgian Open, Points Race
- 2-time National Champion (Points Race & Scratch Race)
- 6-time Pan American medalist (Omnium, Scratch, Pursuit & Team Pursuit)
- Most Aggressive Rider, 2012 Exergy Tour - Stage 1
- 3rd, 2012 Cascade Classic - Cascade Lakes Road Race, Stage 3
- 1st, 2013 Merco Cycling Classic - Hilltop Ranch Road Race, Stage 4
Favorite Race: Points race
Favorite Place to Train: At home in Oakland, Calif., because I know where all the city limit sprints are.
Best Cycling Memory: Winning Track Nationals for the first time -- unexpected and awesome!
Best Advice Received From a Coach When Starting Out: When I first got my bike, my neighbor who helped me pick it out and taught me to ride told me: "Welcome to the end of your life." I thought he was crazy as I just wanted to ride around on Saturdays. But he was right, my life did change forever!
Cycling & Personal/Career Goals: Medal at the Olympics and World Championships.
Did You Know?: Beth works in health care, getting access for the uninsured...she has a Masters in Healthcare Administration.
First Involvement in Cycling: I never learned to ride a bike as a kid. After graduating from college in 2004, I moved to Oakland, Calif., to work in a community clinic. A week after arriving, my car died and without money for expensive repairs, I lucked into finding an old 1967 Schwinn cruiser in a trash can near a friend's work. I took the bike home, repaired it and slowly learned to balance and maneuver around town. I began riding as a commuter and eventually got the itch to compete, taking up recreational racing in 2007.
Charity Work/Community Involvement: Beth volunteers at Hellyer Park Velodrome in a variety of capacities
Family: Mother is Joyce and has a brother, David...engaged to be married in June 2014 to Michael Hernandez.
This Article Published February 27, 2014 For more information contact: