USA Cycling Officials

October Rule of the Month
Post: Oct 17, 2013 by Tom Mahoney under category "Rule Interpretation"
The rule of the month may be changing next year, but for right now there seems to be a bit of confusion over this one:

1A3. License Types
(c) One-day licenses may be purchased online through the USA Cycling registration system or onsite at any USA Cycling sanctioned event and are valid for a single day of racing. One-day licenses may only be used for races open to the lowest category of racer for that discipline; i.e., category 5 men for road, track, and cyclo-cross, category 4 women on the road, track and cyclo-cross, and category 2 or 3 for MTB. One-day licenses may not be used for Championship events

So, the confusion many people have is what a one-day is for. It is intuitive that it should be for beginners, and perhaps that was the initial intent. However, that is not currently what the rule says. It says it can be used for races open to beginner classes, essentially. That leaves some interesting and perhaps unintended consequences:

A) If a race is an open category, like junior 14-18, or masters 35-44, with no category given, then a person could buy a one day and ride that race.

B) That is good (from a customer service and reduction of barriers perspective) when we have a new rider, either junior or master, who wants to try out the sport but does not want to go ride the cat 5 race.

C) It is bad (from a revenue standpoint) when the same race can be ridden by a cat 2 rider with an expired annual license who doesn’t feel like renewing his license this year.

We likely will be changing this rule next year, but for now, a one-day license can be used by riders with categories higher than men’s 5 or women’s 4. Stay tuned next year for fixes to that.
 Jeffrey Helgerson  commented on Oct 28 2013 @ 22:06:47
In Minnesota, we have allowed one-day licensees in open races as long as they qualify by age. If a race director wants to not allow one-day riders in an open race, then they will impose a category restriction on the flyer. For example 35+ Cat 1-4. So yes, a 'cat 2 with an expired license could purchase a one-day and rider in the 35+ open, provided they are qualified by age. But, we would not allow a one-day licensee to ride a Cat 1-4 race for any age group. In my mind I don't think the way the rule is now is confusing. If it is reworded to only apply for beginner riders (cat 5 men or cat 4 women, for road, cx, track) that is fine. How do we handle a rider who is not experienced but does not want to buy an annual license? Per the current rule they can only rider in a race where cat 4 women or cat 5 men are eligible.
Vote Up
Vote Up
 Chris Black  commented on Nov 21 2013 @ 17:45:03
Who is going to check this? Registration staff at the race? How will we know if a rider just has an expired license above the beginner category? Or do we just recommend for suspension after the fact? What about the smart rider who changes the spelling of his name, or uses a middle name so there is no match in the database? Just some questions on how to deal with this.
Vote Up
Vote Up
Bonk BreakerCUOREOSMOSierra NevadaShimanoEndurance ConspiracyUSACDF
UCI USA Cycling is the official governing body for all disciplines of competitive cycling in the United States. The 501c3, membership-based organization aims both to achieve sustained success in international cycling competition and to grow competitive cycling in America while delivering an exceptional customer experience.
View Children's Online Privacy Protection Policy
US Olympic Committee