2012 USA Cycling Masters Track Nationals Communique 1
2012 USA Cycling Masters Track National Championships
July 24-29, 2012
The Velodrome at Memorial Park, Colorado Springs, CO
- All events will be run according to current USA Cycling rules and regulations, published event formats, and information in the communiqués.
- Rider’s helmets must conform to the rules of USA Cycling and must be worn at all times while on the bike, including warm-up and warm-down.
- The race jury will be comprised of the following officials:
Bonnie Walker – Chief Referee, Andy McCord – Starter and Randy Shafer – Judge/Referee. Alternate members may be designated as needed from the panel of officials.
- NUMBERS MUST BE WORN ACCORDING TO THE TABLE BELOW, and may not be trimmed or folded. Riders presenting themselves at the line without the proper numbers, with their numbers trimmed, or with their numbers folded will be fined $20 for the 1st offense, $35 for the 2nd offense, and disqualification for the 3rd offense.
|Event||Numbers to be worn|
|Sprint Qualifying||2 hip numbers|
|Match Sprints||2 hip numbers|
|Individual Time Trials/Pursuits||1 large number (center of back is OK)|
|Team Pursuit (ea. rider)||1 large number (center of back is OK)|
|Team Sprint (ea. rider)||1 large number (center of back is OK)|
|Points and Scratch Races||2 hip numbers|
|Madison||2 hip numbers|
For the races where 2 hip numbers are required, they must be placed so that one hip number is on the left side positioned for the photo finish and the other numbers shall be placed on the right side positioned for the announcer and the spectators.
- Registration will be open daily until 12:00 PM. Riders and teams must register at least one day in advance for each event they wish to add. All teams must have riders identified by 12:00 PM on the previous day. Failure to check in may result in omission from the start sheet and may have your start refused.
- Riders may not delay competition (untimely reporting for equipment verification, not reporting as scheduled or taking too much time to get ready). $20 fine for each offense.
- Bicycle Check: All riders must present their bicycle for an equipment check before each competition/heat. Once your bike is measured, it must stay sequestered in the ready area or it will have to be re-measured. Please ensure that you present your bicycle to the equipment check area with adequate time before your start. In general, the regulations for bicycles are those of the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI). However, the following exceptions will be made for the 2012 Masters Track Nationals:
- There will be no measurement of the 5 cm rule for saddle position.
- There will be no requirement that the handlebars be below the saddle.
There will not be strict enforcement of the 3/1 rule. The following bicycles are therefore considered legal for this competition:
- Specialized Transition
- Specialized Shiv
- Giant Trinity
All other UCI rules will be enforced, such as minimum weight of 6.8 kg, basic bicycle design based on a double triangle (no Softrides), and maximum handlebar extension of 80cm.
- Standing Start Procedures: All age groups will be hand-held. The starting procedure is as follows: once riders (both if two up) are signaled ready by the officials, a 15-second countdown will begin, a beep indicating ten seconds to go will be heard, beeps will then be heard at 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and a final changed tone at the start of the race.
- 500 Meter and Kilometer Time Trials, and Individual Pursuits will run as two-up heats with one rider starting on the home straight and the other rider on the back straight.
- Team Pursuit and Team Sprint will be ridden as a final with one team on the track at a time.
- Men’s Team Sprint is a 3 lap 3 rider event. Women’s Team Sprint is a 2 lap 2 rider event.
- Starts for the Team Pursuit and Team Sprint competitions: Riders shall start either side-by-side or staggered at an angle of 45 degrees behind the start line with spacing of 1 meter for Team Pursuits and an equally spaced 1.5 – 2 meters for Team Sprint.
- Points Race Sprints will be every 2K (6 laps). If fields exceed 36 riders in the Points Race or Scratch Race, heats will be conducted as needed.
- The Madison sprints occur every 5K (15 laps). If fields exceed 20 teams in the Madison, heats will be conducted as needed. Madison numbers will be distributed in the infield during the Sunday morning session.
- For those events where seeding is based on a timed qualification, riders withdrawing after qualifications and before the first heats are established will be replaced by the next faster rider. Riders withdrawing from the competition after the composition of the first heats (time qualification) will be fined $50 unless pre-approved by the Chief Referee.
- Match Sprint rounds are subject to change based on the number of entries. As previously published in the schedule, the tournament formats are as follows:
|***SPRINT TOURNAMENT FORMAT***|
|Number of Riders||First Round||Number of Rides||Subsequent Rounds|
|1||TT Only - Gold||None|
|2||Direct to Finals||Best 2 of 3|
|3||Round Robin||2 per rider||
(1 ride, either 2up or 3up)
|4||Direct to Semis||Best 2 of 3||Finals|
|5||Direct to Semis||Best 2 of 3||Finals (5th from TT)|
|6||3 x 2up||1 ride||3 to Semis, 1 x 3up to send 1 to Semis|
|7||2 x 2up, 1 x 3up||1 ride||3 to Semis, 1 x 4up to send 1 to Semis|
|8||Quarterfinals||Best 2 of 3||Semis, 5-8 final|
|9||Quarterfinals||Best 2 of 3||Semis, 5-8 final (9th from TT)|
|10||Quarterfinals||Best 2 of 3||Semis, 5-8 final (9-10th from TT)|
|11||Quarterfinals||Best 2 of 3||Semis, 5-8 final (9-11th from TT)|
|12||1/8th Finals (6x2up)||1 ride||2 x 3up to send 2 to Quarters|
|13||1/8th Finals (6x2up)||1 ride||2 x 3up to send 2 to Quarters|
|14||1/8th Finals (6x2up)||1 ride||2 x 3up to send 2 to Quarters|
|15||1/8th Finals (6x2up)||1 ride||2 x 3up to send 2 to Quarters|
|16||1/8th Finals (8x2up)||1 ride||Quarterfinals|
|17||1/8th Finals (8x2up)||1 ride||Quarterfinals|
|18+||Round 1 (9x2up)||1 ride||3 x 3up to send 3 to 1/8th Finals|
- Riders may have only one coach on the track apron (outside the fence) during any event. In mass start events, coaches must stay off the apron and inside the fence.
- All riders, managers, coaches, mechanics, and other infield pass holders are under the supervision of the officials and under the regulations of the USA Cycling. Inappropriate conduct may result in removal from the infield or facility.
- Antidoping Testing will be conducted by USADA for this event in accordance with USADA regulations.
This Article Published July 20, 2012 For more information contact: